Friday 21 October 2011

Dance Your Way Into The Weekend!



We started the week off with a gyrating Beyoncé but we’ll end it on a softer tone, with a few of my recent musical discoveries that will be freshening up my somewhat stale i-tunes this weekend. TGIF!

High Highs
I’m absolutely in love with this Australian-come-Brooklyn trio. They kind of remind me of Other Lives – another of my favourites for this year – with their wistful tunes and sorrowful lyrics which are right up my I-love-wrist-slittingly-depressing-music alley.





Milagres
, Kill Rock Stars
These Brooklyn boys initially caught my attention because of their Portuguese band name but they’re obviously much more than that. Although they’ve been (unfairly) compared to Coldplay, don’t be fooled: Kyle Wilson's falsettos are more Wild Beasts-ish and their debut single, Glowing Mouth, is a beautiful gateway to the homonymous brilliant album.





Frankie and The Heartstrings, Hunger

But don't be fooled by the apparently chirpy, eighties influenced melodies: this five-piece from north England know how to write some wicked lyrics that will get you hooked in no time.





Oh Land, Oh Land
This delicate Dane – a former ballerina and Missioni model – is all the rage right now. Classical dance is an obvious influence in her lyrics and composition, which is both good and bad: I do enjoy the sweet fairy like touch but feel it isn’t powerful or memorable enough. A good listen, all the same.





Smith Westerns, Dye It Blonde
This Chicago trio has already featured in The EvilTwin's best list and this year they've yet again produced a very promising record, "Dye It Blonde". Although it sometimes throws you back to the 70s rock vibe, you can really feel Chris Coady's touch (who's produced and mixed for Beach House, TV on the Radio and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs). Currently enjoying it, for sure, but I’m not sure I'm loving it quite yet.





Gang Gang Dance, Eye Contact
Still trying to figure out whether I love or loathe these New-Yorkers. This is their 5th album but I shamefully admit I've only just heard of them. A sort of crossover between vintage synths and world music on drugs, it certainly makes for interesting listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment