Saturday 9 July 2011

Gleek Alert: Do Not Read This Post Unless You Want To Lose The (Very Little) Respect You May Have Left For Me.



My love for Broadway, Glee and Barbra leads me to believe there is a very, very gay, camp man trapped inside me.

Season 2 of Glee is over (*sniff, sniff*) and, since I'm not such a fan of the original songs, I thought the finale was kinda "meh"… Actually the only songs I enjoyed during that episode were Britt's song about a cup (ever so catchy!) and the brilliant mash up New York.

Although I obviously loved the first season of Glee, some songs have been played ad nausea (let’s, please, NEVER EVER hear Journey again, EVER!), season 2 was a definite improvement: it had some of the funniest moments, best dialogue and incredible storylines, not to mention the songs which, frankly, I’m finding hard to pick only a few.

My favourites:

1. My Man
In the before-last episode, Rachel sang the closing number of Funny Girl to absolute perfection and - dare I say it? - outdid Barbra. Still, Billie's cover of this French original is unsurpassably beautiful.

2. River Deep Mountain High
Naya Rivera is golden. I absolutely adore her voice and her character Santana. Thankfully, she’s been given a bit more focus this season, and rightly so. Having already paired up with Amber Riley with The Boy Is Mine, this Ike and Tina cover was sensational (and should, of course, won them the meal at Breadstix!).

3. Songbird
I love that Glee dedicated a whole episode to Rumours. I never really noticed how beautiful this song really was until I heard Naya sing it and actually make my eyes water. It immediately became my favourite Fleetwood Mac song.

4. Sweet Transvestite
Amber Riley at her very best. I like her OTT diva performances but this was her best solo this season, by far.

5. Take Me or Leave Me
A very risqué musical, probably even more so than The Rocky Horror Show. I love that it was originally sung on Broadway by Idina Menzel, who played Rachel’s mom in season one. Perfect circle!

6. Forget You and Do You Wanna Touch Me, ex aequo
I used to hate Gwyneth Paltrow’s guts before she came along as Holly Holliday on Glee. Now, I not only subscribe (and love) Goop but am a firm believer that Mrs. Chris Martin is a certified Goddess. Love, love, love.

7. Silly Love Songs
How great an addition were the Warblers and Darren Criss?!

8. I Wanna Hold Your Hand
Wept thoroughly during this episode and song. Chris Colfer’s extravagant voice is like a soothing sweet balm (eg. Blackbird). Deserves all the hype he gets.

9. The Only Exception
I’m a die-hard Finchel fan so I gave up my prejudice and shame and fessed up to liking a sh*tty emo song, no matter how lame I look. I love this version and the emotion Leah pours into it.

10. Thriller /Heads Will Roll
This mash-up deserves to be in this list, just because they covered the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. And that’s pretty neat on its own.

Cannot wait for season 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment